Dr. Dongwook (Don) Lim
Research Engineer II
Webber, Rm 308
(404) 385 - 2781
dongwook.lim (at) asdl.gatech.edu
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, June 2002
Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia, December 2003
Doctor of Philosophy in Aerospace Engineering, School of Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia, May 2009
• Assessment of CO2 Emission Metrics for Commercial Aircraft Certification and Fleet Performance Monitoring: Investigation of the Applicability Options of the CO2 Standard, sponsored by the US Environmental Protection Agency, Nov 2010 - Present
• Environmentally Responsible Aviation, sponsored by NASA, February 2010 – Present
• Design Space Exploration for a Family of Small Commercial Transports, sponsored by Dassault Aviation, France and Saab, Sweden, November 2009 – Present
• Assessment of CO2 Emission Metrics for Commercial Aircraft Certification and Fleet Performance Monitoring, sponsored by the Federal Aviation Administration under Award Nos.DTFAWA-05-D-00012, Task Order No. 0007 07-C-NE-GIT, Amendment No. 015, May 2009 – Dec 2010
• Modeling of Vehicle Environmental Characteristics including New Technologies/Concepts for The Next Generation Air Transportation System, sponsored by NASA, May 2009 – Present
• Technology Portfolio Management, sponsored by Airbus S.A.S., June 2009 – Present
• Modeling of Vehicle Environmental Characteristics including New Technologies/Concepts for The Next Generation Air Transportation System, sponsored by NASA under a Cooperative Agreement NNX07AO12A, June 2009 – May 2010
• Quantitative Measurement of Engine Health Monitoring Fitness for Purposes, sponsored by Data System & Solutions, May 2008 – May 2009
• Advanced Logistics Delivery System Study, sponsored by Office of Naval Research, May 2007 – May 2008
• The US Air Force Personnel Recovery Vehicle (CSAR-X) Compound Study, sponsored by the Air Force Research Laboratory, Mar 2005 – Mar 2006
• Advance Concept Development (Multi-Gas Generator Fan Technology Integration and Vehicle Sizing), sponsored by NASA, Contract NAS 300179-RAC1063, May 2003 – Mar 2005
• Design Methodology for Revolutionary Aerospace Concepts, sponsored by NASA, NASA Langley Grant NAG-1-02023, Aug 2002 – Oct 2004
Honors and Distinctions
• Scholarship, Samsung Lee Kun Hee Scholarship Foundation, January 2004 – December 2007
• 3rd Place in Design Report and 5th Place in Endurance Mission in the 8th International Micro Air Vehicle Competition, Tucson Arizona, April 2004
• 1st Place in Graduate Aircraft Design Competition with a Blended-Wing-Body Commercial Jet Design, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, August 2003
• Army Commendation Medal, The United States Secretary of the Army, April 2001
• Army Achievement Medal, The United States Secretary of the Army, September 2000
• Scholarship, Seoul National University, 1997 – 1998
Membership and Service
• Member, United Nations, ICAO, CAEP CO2 Task Group, 2010 - Present
• Member, AIAA General Aviation Technical Committee, 2011 - Present
• Member, Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, 2009 – Present
• Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1999 – Present
• Member, American Helicopter Society, 2005 – Present
• Member, Society of Automotive Engineers, 2006 – Present
• Dongwook Lim, Taewoo Nam, Graham Burdette, Michelle Kirby, and Dimitri Mavris, Philippe A. Bonnefoy, R. John Hansman, James I. Hileman, Ian A. Waitz, Brian Yutko, “An Investigation of the Potential Implication of a CO2 Emission Metric on Future Aircraft Designs”, 27th International Congress of the Aeronautical Science, 20-23, Nice, France.
• Dongwook Lim and Dimitri Mavris, “A Design Methodology for Lifelong Aircraft Evolution”, 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, 4-7 January 2010, Orlando, Florida.
• Dongwook Lim, “A Systematic Approach to Design for Lifelong Aircraft Evolution”, PhD Thesis, Georgia Institute of Technology, May, 2009.
• Dongwook Lim and Dimitri Mavris, “An Approach to Evolutionary Aircraft Design for Growth Potential”, 7th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration and Operations Conference, Belfast, United Kingdom, September, 2007.
• Dongwook Lim, Byung-Ho Ahn, and Dimitri Mavris, “A Comparative Study of Multi-Gas Generator Fan to a Turbofan Engine on a Vertical Takeoff and Landing Personal Air Vehicle”, Presented at SAE General Aviation Conference, August 29, 2006.
• Dongwook Lim and Taewoo Nam, “Thrust Augmented Twin Tilt Nacelle VTOL Aircraft”, a Provisional Patent Application Filed in the USPTO, GTRC ID No. 3735, August 29, 2006.