Dr. Jung-Ho Lewe
Research Engineer II
Weber I, Rm 313A
(404) 385 - 6713
j.lewe (at) gatech.edu
2001-2005, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering, Dissertation Title: An Integrated Decision-Making Framework for Transportation Architectures: Application to Aviation Systems Design.
1999-2000, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- M.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Special Problem Topic: Application of Hierarchic Genetic Algorithms on Advanced Design Methodology with Domain Reduction Technique.
1991-1995, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
- B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Thesis Title: An Experimental Study on the Static and Dynamic Deformation Characteristics of a Composite Beam Covered with Piezo Film.
- Agent-based modeling and simulation
- Transportation demand
- System dynamics
- Stochastic optimization
- Air transport network modeling
- Personal Air Vehicles
- System-of-systems engineering
Honors and Distinctions
- The Sorenson Best Paper Award in 2006, Journal of Air Transportation.
- 2nd place in 2002 University Student Competition, FAA/NASA, 2002. (team leader)
- 1st place in Graduate Student Design Project, LPI/NASA, 2000. (team member)
- 2nd place in Hanwha Technology Award, Hanwha Corp., 1998. (team member)
Membership and Service
- Member, Air Transportation Systems Technical Committee, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Since 2008.
- Reviewer for IEEE Systems Journal, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, since 2008.
- Reviewer for Simulation, Vol. 80, No. 1, Special Issue: Air Transportation, The Society for Modeling and Simulation International, 2003.
- Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Since 2002.
- J. Lewe, T. Laughlin and D. Mavris, Impacts of Design Characteristics on Market Demand of Vertical Takeoff and Landing Personal Air Vehicles, 10th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference, Fort Worth, Texas, Sep. 13-15, 2010.
- J. Lewe, T. Unton, K. Meyer and D. Mavris, A Tradeoff Analysis of Future Small Aircraft Capacity from a Point-to-Point Operation Perspective, 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Orlando, FL, 2010.
- J. Lewe, K. Meyer, T. Unton and D. Mavris, Sensitivity Analysis of Consumer Preference for a Future Small Aircraft with Point-to-point Operations, 9th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference (ATIO) and Aircraft Noise and Emissions Reduction Symposium (ANERS), Hilton Head, SC, 2009.
- E. Yang, J. Lewe and D. Mavris, Demand-centric Analysis of the Air Transportation System, The 26th Congress of International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences (ICAS), Anchorage, AK, 2008.
- H. Won, J. Lewe and D. Mavris, Advanced General Aviation Design with Transportation Architecture Analysis, The 26th Congress of International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences (ICAS), AK, 2008.
- C. Lim, J. Lewe and D. Mavris, An Agent-Based Approach for Modeling the Commercial Air Transportation Network System, Air Transport Research Society World Conference, Berkley, CA, June 2007.
- J. Lewe, D. DeLaurentis, D. Mavris and D. Schrage, Entity-centric Abstraction and Modeling Framework for Transportation Architectures, Journal of Air Transportation, 11(3), 2006, pp. 3-33. (Received the Sorenson Best Paper Award)
- T. Kang, J. Lewe and D. Mavris, Uncertainty Dynamics and Economics Modeling of the Air Transportation Supply Chain, AIAA 6th Aviation Technology, Integration and Operations Forum, Wichita, KS, Sep. 2006.
- C. Lim, J. Lewe and D. Mavris, An Agent-Based Modeling Approach for Transportation Network Systems, AIAA 6th Aviation Technology, Integration and Operations Forum, Wichita, KS, Sep. 2006.
- J. Lewe, D. DeLaurentis and D. Mavris, Foundation for Study of Future Transportation Systems through Agent-Based Simulation, Proceedings of the 24th ICAS Congress, Yokohama, Japan, Aug.-Sep. 2004.
- H. Pfaender, Y. Lee, T. Choi, J. Lewe and D. Mavris, Multi-platform Integrated Development Aid System (MIDAS), 10th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, Albany, NY, Aug. 2004.
- J. Lewe and D. DeLaurentis, Entity-Centric Abstraction and Modeling of Future Transportation Architectures, Proceedings of the 45th Annual Transportation Research Forum, Evanston, IL, Mar. 2004.
- C. Lim, J. Lewe, D. DeLaurentis and D. Mavris, A Methodology for Assessing Business Models of Future Air Transportation in the Atlanta Regional Transportation System, AIAA 4th Aviation Technology, Integration and Operations Forum, Chicago, IL, Sep. 2004.
- D. DeLaurentis, J. Lewe and D. Schrage, Abstraction and Modeling Hypothesis for Future Transportation Architectures, AIAA International Air and Space Symposium and Exposition: The Next 100 Years, Dayton, OH, July 2003. (Invited Paper)
- J. Lewe, M. Kirby, C. Raczynski and D. Mavris, Technology Portfolio Assessments Using a Gene-Correction Genetic Algorithm, AIAA's 3rd Annual Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Forum, Denver, CO, Nov. 2003.
- J. Lewe, E. Upton, D. Mavris and D. Schrage, An Agent-Based Framework for Evaluating Future Transportation Architectures, AIAA's 3rd Annual Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Forum, Denver, CO, Nov. 2003.
- J. Lewe, A Spotlight Search Method for Multi-criteria Optimization Problems, 9th Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization, Atlanta, GA, Sep. 2002.
- J. Lewe et al., Identification of Design Requirements Through Agent-based Simulation for Personal Air Vehicle System, AIAA's Aircraft Technology, Integration, and Operations 2002 Technical Forum, Los Angeles, CA, Oct. 2002.
- J. Lewe et al. SATS competition, 2002. (Earned 2nd place of NASA/FAA University Student Design Competition)
- R. Alexander, M. Kirtas, J. McIntire, R. Bechtel, J. Lewe et al., Moon-based Advanced Reusable Transportation Architecture, Proceedings of the Third Annual HEDS-UP Forum, 2000, pp. 206-224. (Graduate student design competition report)
- S. Lee, Y. Choi, S. Lee and J. Lewe, Review on a Mono-hydrazine Thruster Research and Development, Journal of Korean Society of Propulsion Engineers, 3(1), 1999, pp. 72-77.
- S. Lee, S. Lee, Y. Choi and J. Lewe, Performance Evaluation of Monopropellant Thrusters though Hot-fire Testing, * Proceedings of the Korean Society for Aeronautical Space Sciences Annual Conference, 1998.
- S. Lee, S. Lee, Y. Choi and J. Lewe et al., Propulsion Sub-system Development for the KOMPSAT I, Part II: Dual Thruster Modules, 4th Fiscal Year Contractual Report, Hanwha Corp., 1998.
- S. Lee, Y. Choi and J. Lewe, Development of Attitude Control Thruster for Korean Multi-purpose Satellite (KOMPSAT), Journal of Korean Society of Propulsion Engineers, 1(2), 1997, pp. 67-73.
- S. Lee, K. Jang, S. Lee, Y. Choi and J. Lewe, Introduction to a 1-lbf Class Monopropellant Thruster for Attitude and Orbit Control of Satellite, Proceedings of the Korean Society for Aeronautical Space Sciences Annual Conference, 1997.