Dr. Cedric Justin is a research faculty with the School of Aerospace Engineering with expertise at the cross-roads of engineering, operations, and economics. He is focused on the evaluation of concepts of operations as well as the economics of general aviation operations, commuter operations, and airlines operations. Recently, Justin has analyzed the impact of transitioning a fleet of fossil-fuel powered commuter aircraft to a fleet of aircraft featuring advanced electric powertrains. Optimal charging strategies were researched to reduce the electricity costs while mitigating the impact on the electric grid and the environment.
During his doctoral research, he focused his research on the economic assessment of research and development programs facing significant technical and systematic uncertainties as well as competitive market pressure. He developed a method suitable for implementation within companies that provides a decision support framework for research and development budget allocation and for research and development planning optimization.This doctoral research was motivated by three observations: (1) disregarding the value of managerial flexibility undervalues long-term research and development programs; (2) trigger events induce windows of opportunities that emerge and disappear from which technologists could derive significant value by exploiting their upside potential; (3) integrating competitive aspects early in the design ensures that development programs are robust with respect to moves by the competition.
Justin is a commercial pilot with instrument and seaplane rating.
- Ph.D., Aerospace Engineering, 2015, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
- M.S., Quantitative and Computational Finance, 2012, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
- Justin, Cedric; Mavris, Dimitri; “Aircraft and engine valuation for strategic decision-making” Proc. IMechE Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering; November, 2014
- Justin, Cedric; Mavris, Dimitri; “Detection of trigger events for successful investments: non-parametric analysis of real options with early exercise” Real Options Conference; Monemvasia, Greece; June, 2015
- Justin, Cedric; Mavris Dimitri; “Valuation of real options with flexible early exercise in a competitive environment: The case of performance improvement packages” Real Options Conference; Medellin, Colombia; July, 2014
- Justin, Cedric; Garcia, Elena; Mavris, Dimitri; “Aircraft valuation: a network approach to the evaluation of aircraft for fleet planning and strategic decision making” 2010 AIAA-ATIO Conference; Fort-Worth, TX; September, 2010
- Payan, Alexia; Kirby, Michelle; Justin, Cedric; Mavris, Dimitri; “Meeting Emissions Reduction Targets: A Probabilistic Lifecycle Assessment of the Production of Alternative Jet Fuels” 2014 AIAA Aviation Conference, Atlanta, GA; June, 2014
- Justin, Cedric; Mavris, Dimitri; “Option-based approach to value engine maintenance cost guarantees and engine maintenance contracts” 2011 AIAA-ATIO Conference; Virginia Beach, VA; September, 2011
- Justin, Cedric; Briceno, Simon; Mavris, Dimitri; “Strategic Analysis of Competitive Markets: A Case Study for the Narrowbody Market” 2011 AIAA-ATIO Conference; Virginia Beach, VA; September, 2011
- Lim, Donwook; Justin, Cedric; Mavris, Dimitri; “Advanced general aviation concept study for a roadable aircraft” 2015 AIAA-ATIO Conference; Dallas, TX; June, 2015
- Justin, Cedric; Briceno, Simon; Mavris, Dimitri; “A competitive and real-options framework for the economic analysis of large aerospace programs” 2012 ICAS Conference, Brisbane, Australia; September, 2012
- Justin, Cedric; Briceno, Simon; Mavris, Dimitri; and Villeneuve, Frederic; “A Competitive Market Approach to Gas Turbine Technology Portfolio Selection” ASME Turbo Expo 2011; Vancouver, Canada; June, 2011